American Style Pancake Recipe

I am a HUGE lover of pancakes! I just love covering them in the millions of possible toppings that can go on them.  In the past I have always made the thin crepe style ones but have been wanting to try making some American style thick and fluffy ones.

One dismal Sunday lunch time I decided to give it a go.  As they turned out so well I thought I would share the recipe with you all.  It made 12 pancakes, so serves 3-4 depending on how greedy you are feeling.

Ingredients:
300g self raising flower
1 Tsp baking powder 
1 Tbsp maple syrup 
1 Tbsp caster sugar 
2 medium British Lion eggs*
300ml milk

Method:
Step 1: Mix together the flour, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl.
Step 2: Make a well in the centre of the mixture and crack in 2 eggs.  Whisk them up.
Step 3: Next gradually add the milk to the mixture, whisking as you go.
Step 4:  Finally add the maple syrup and give it a final whisk
Step 5: Put a large frying pan on to heat up to a medium temperature and add some oil and a small knob of butter.
Step 6: Add a ladle of mixture to the pan and let it sit for a couple minutes.  Once bubbles start to appear on the surface its time to flip it over.


Top tip:  Put the oven on low and each time a pancake is ready pop it on to a plate in the oven to keep warm.  

I also had 2 pans in the go to speed up the process but if you have 1 large frying pan that's even better!




They were just as easy to make as the crepe style ones and just as delicious.  I also found them more filling.


I had my usual platter of scrummy toppings at the ready!




For more great recipes and tips on the basics like how long to boil an egg or the more adventurous Christmas Meringue Snowmen recipe, please visit www.eggrecipes.co.uk.

Let me know in the comments below if you give this recipe a try.  

*This is a collaborative post.

Comments