Cheddar Woods Lodge Holiday

Hi all

I have recently returned from a 4 night stay at Cheddar Woods Resort and Spa and thought I would share the details of my stay with you.  The resort is located in the picturesque Mendip Hills in Somerset which is classed as an area of outstanding natural beauty.  



Accommodation 

The lodges themselves are modern and luxurious with free (fast) wifi, decking and most have sunken hot tubs.  I stayed in a Mendip Premier which had 2 iPod docks, TVs in each bedroom, dishwasher, washer-dryer, towels, bedding and dressing gowns included.




Staying on the Park

There is an abundance of wildlife on your doorstep, I enjoyed watching the squirrels playing on the decking.
Decking & outdoor furniture

There is a small on-site spa where you can book a range of treatments, however I did not use it on this occasion.  I took my gym kit with me however after arriving I realised there was a £5 gym induction fee so I did not bother as I only wanted to use it the once. 

There were a couple of pool tables and a small bowling alley just off the main reception and opposite the bar.



 The swimming pool was an adequate size with adult only session times available. 

I ate at the on-site restaurant one evening and the food was really tasty. 



Top: Vegetarian lasagne.  Bottom: Cheddar mash, gammon & egg

However as there was only 1 vegetarian option (lasagne) we did not return during our stay.

There are a range of Go Active activities amiable for child and adults alike.  I gave the archery a go, it was something I had never done before but it was nice to try something new and I really enjoyed it (although i did feel sore for a couple of days after!).  

The grounds are immaculately manicured and the car parking spaces are right by each lodge.

There was a little 'farm shop' area next to the reception however it was overpriced so really only useful as a last resort in my eyes!  There is a Spar (part of a petrol station) a short walk down the road or a Tesco Express and a Sainsburys store just a couple minutes down the road by car.

Nearby

As well as being next to Cheddar and Axbridge villages the site is within close proximity to Glastonbury, Weston-Super-Mare, Wells and Bristol if you fancy a day trip.

Just along the road you will find the Strawberry Line cycle path.  We took a trip along the track on our bikes and around Cheddar reservoir.

Eating Out

Cheddar - I ate a delicious vegetarian breakfast in the Lion Rock Tea Rooms which is located just opposite Goughs Cave in Cheddar Gorge.  



Cafe Gorge does an outstanding cream tea; it was so fresh and the scone itself was warm, it really melted in the mouth.

After reading TripAdvisor reviews I had also wanted to try Edelweiss cafe however it was closed while we were there.

Axbridge - I had an evening meal at the Crown Inn twice and could not fault either meal.  I would definitely recommend it.  The food is all cooked fresh to order and the portions are more than adequate!  

Chicken New Yorker with chips & salad
Butternut squash vegetarian chilli on a bed of rice with a yogurt dip

I had wanted to try The Almshouse Tea Rooms and took a bike ride there specifically to have lunch there however there was a sign on the door saying it was closed due to unforeseen circumstances on Thursday 4th February which was a real shame.

Weston-Super-Mare - I highly recommend Browns Stateside Diner if you like your american style food of burgers, hot dogs and pancakes.  It is really nicely decorated inside with a life-size Elvis statue and NYC style yellow taxi doors on the wall.




I really enjoyed my time at Cheddar and would definitely return to this resort again.  I would also like to give some of the other Darwin Escape resorts a try in the future.

What holiday park would you recommend?


This holiday was paid for out of my own pocket.  This review is my own personal opinion and not sponsored in any way.

Comments